Children and /Adopted Children
Application for registration as a citizen of Kenya for a child proceeds from section 13(3) of the Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Act, 2011 which provides that: –
- A child of a citizen by registration who was born before the parent acquired citizenship may on application by the parent or legal guardian be registered as a Kenya Citizen upon: —
- Production of documents conferring Kenyan Citizenship to any of the parents;
- Production of the child’s birth certificate; and
- Proof of lawful residence of the child in Kenya.
- Section 14 of the Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Act, 2011 provides that a child who is not a citizen, but is adopted by a citizen, is entitled on application in the prescribed manner by the adopting parent or legal guardian to be registered as a citizen upon—
- the production of proof of the Kenyan citizenship of the adopting parent;
- the production of a valid adoption certificate issued in a reciprocating state or other jurisdiction whose orders, decrees are recognized in Kenya; and
- proof of lawful residence of the child in Kenya.
The requirements include: –
- Application form 11 duly completed;
- Two (2) passport size photographs;
- Copy of Kenyan passport or identity card of the parent;
- Copy of Birth certificate or local adoption certificate;
- Copy of applicant’s passport;
- Copy of Immigration pass or permit;
- Certificate of good conduct for children 18 years and above;
- Adoption certificate (applicable to adopted children);
- Fee of KES 2,000 to be paid to (Click here); and
- Verify that you have the required document/pre-requisites and you meet the relevant criteria before you apply.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted;
- Registration fee is non-refundable;
- Application must be presented to the Immigration officer in Nairobi